Coinherence: An Attempt

singing harmony in a world torn apart

My Photo
Name:

husband, father, pastor, student, teacher, fan...

25 December 2010

Behold, the Bird...


Imogene: "Wow! What's that?"
Me: "That's our bird, babe."
Imogene: "We're eating a bird for Christmas?!"


Okay, so I admit it... I'm crazy for a smoked turkey. One of my most fond yearly memories of Christmas growing up is that of my Pappy smoking a large bird on Christmas morning. Every year, while his health remained intact, we'd have smoked turkey for Christmas lunch. He always kept it simple, but the flavor was -without fail- outstanding.

About four years ago, Lindsey got me a smoker for Christmas. We were still living in Ackerman, Mississippi, while I pastored Salem IMC and attended WBS. She made sure that I had the smoker in hand before Christmas Day because she knew what I'd want: to smoke a turkey for Christmas lunch. I did. And I have since.

Like Pappy, I try to keep things simple; however, I do have a couple of subtle twists to add a distinctive touch to the smokey flavor. First, the smoke must be wood produced, not just produced by charcoal, water, and poor ventilation. That being said, I burn a blend of hickory and oak. Second, I dress the turkey uniquely for her last date with destiny. She wears extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black peppercorns and is stuffed with a couple of stalks of celery and a granny smith apple cut into wedges. [Pictured above: I placed some apple wedges on the top of the turkey while smoking; hence, the leopard spots.]

So... yesterday evening around 6:30, I stepped outside and got the fire going. Once the bird was in position, I simply kept the smoker shut except to periodically add another log to the fire. I kept a close eye until a bit before 1:00 this morning, when I called it a night. Upon the kiddos' arousal from sleep, the bird was beautiful.

Just a few days ago, I heard Anthony Bourdain say that you should let your turkey rest for as many hours as you roast it. Granted, I didn't roast mine per se, so I let it rest for about 3 hours (rather than 12). When it was time to carve, wow! what a delight.

B-b-b-bird, bird, bird: Bird is the word!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home