Coinherence: An Attempt

singing harmony in a world torn apart

My Photo
Name:

husband, father, pastor, student, teacher, fan...

05 December 2009

Day 5

Some Scripture:

“Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

“Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy.”

-Philippians 2:12-18 (NLT)

Some Reflection:

As we prepare to depart from one another's presence at camp, we do so in appreciation of one another and with a tremendous opportunity before us. We are being commissioned by the Lord of the harvest to go out into the fields of this world and live like brilliant testaments of His brightness. In doing so, we have the potential within ourselves to live successfully faithful Christian lives – not separately as if islands off to ourselves, but in joyous community with one another. You can be a success story for God; I can be a success story for God. You and I together can encourage one another, celebrate with one another, and challenge one another.

As Paul understood it, we need each other – even if for nothing else, to be able to confidently recognize the benefits of our unique investments into one another. I need to see that what I have done for you has not been in vain, and you need to know the same concerning your investment in me.

A successful Christian life, however, is one of uncompromising loyalty to Christ – not one of grumbling and bickering and – God forbid – filthiness, but a life of obedience, a life that reflects Him. Paul boldly affirms that, if you and I are going to live a lives like this, we have a part to play. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” You don't save yourself, for it is only by grace that you have been saved. Nevertheless, as the Church Father said long ago, “The God who made you apart from yourself will not save you apart from yourself.” If you are going to live obediently for God, guess what... only you can do it. But the good news is that, as Paul also affirms, “It is God who works in you both to will and do His good pleasure.” The Christian life is not a life of being off by oneself, left to one's own devices and abilities, trying to please God who is far away. No, the Christian life is a life lived in the power of the ever-near and personally-indwelling Holy Spirit, a life that is also surrounded by and bathed in Christian fellowship and loyalty.

Now, as camp draws to its close and having made our respective marks on one another, it's time to go and make our marks on the world. The world is waiting. Jesus is waiting. You are a unique person, complete with a unique mark to be made. If you don't make it, sadly enough, it will be left unmade. Are you in?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home